- Bridget Stutchbury (Biology) on winning the 2016 President’s Research Excellence Award. This is the second year in a row that a Science faculty member won this top award: Sergey Krylov in Chemistry received it last year.
- Carol Bucking (Biology) on receiving the Society for Experimental Biology President’s Medal for her research in animal biology and physiology.
- Derek Wilson (Chemistry) on being awarded a $330,000 grant by the Krembil Foundation for his research into the causes of Alzheimer’s.
- Huaxiong Huang (Math & Stats) on his appointment as Deputy Director of the Fields Institute for Research in Mathematical Sciences.
- Bach Kim Nguyen (Chemistry 4th year undergraduate) on placing among the top ten finalists in the Sunnybrook Research Prize competition for her project of developing and testing a low-cost sensing platform based on gold nanoparticles. Nguyen was profiled in the North York Mirror.
Jane Heffernan (Math & Stats) delivered a public lecture on the mathematics of infectious diseases at the Royal Canadian Institute.
Christopher Bergevin and Scott Menary (Physics & Astronomy) have been invited by the Canadian Association of Physicists to present their research during the 2016 CAP Lecture Tour in February and March.
Saber Saleuddin (Professor Emeritus, Biology) and Spencer Mukai are co-editors of a new two-volume set, Physiology of Molluscs.
In the Media
The Toronto Star did a nearly two-page story on Laurence Packer’s (Biology) extensive bee collection.
Demian Ifa’s (Chemistry) review article on emerging techniques that could enable the evaluation of surgical margins was mentioned on Yahoo News.
The January-February issue of Canadian Geographic features Amro Zayed’s (Biology) work on honeybees.
PhD candidate Jesse Rogerson (Physics & Astronomy) spoke with CTV News about the naming of a group of stars after David Bowie.
Dean Ray Jayawardhana appeared on the GlobalNews Morning Show to discuss the evidence for a massive planet in our solar system’s outskirts.
The global study on warmer lake waters co-authored by Sapna Sharma (Biology) was mentioned in the Huffington Post.
YFile published a Q&A with Georg Zoidl (Biology) as part of the Open Your Mind series.
Feb 9 – CAP Lecture on the Canadian Light Source by Dr. Robert Lamb, 2:30pm in Petrie 317
Feb 9 – Careers in Math & Stats
Feb 24 – Undergraduate Research Fair in Scott Library
March 10 – Science Unplugged (details to come)