February 20, 2015: Scientific literacy
- Sato et al. 2014. Practice makes pretty good: assessment of primary literature reading abilities across multiple large enrollment biology laboratory courses. CBE-Life Sciences Education 13: 677-686. (includes suppl data)
January 20, 2015: Metacognition
- Ziegler & Montplaisir 2014. Student perceived and determined knowledge of biology concepts in an upper-level biology course. CBE-Life Sciences Education 13: 322-330.
November 20, 2014: Learning through inquiry
- Luckie DB et al. 2012. Less teaching, more learning: 10-yr study supports increasing student learning through less coverage and more inquiry. Advances in Physiology Education. 36: 325-335.
October 20, 2014: Active learning
- Linton DL et al. 2014. Identifying key features of effective active learning: the effects of writing and peer discussion. CBE-Life Sciences Education. 13: 469-477.
Sept. 16, 2014: Assessments & feedback (& a short history of grading)
- Schinske J & Tanner K. 2014. Teaching more by grading less (or differently). CBE-Life Sciences Education. 13: 159-166
March 27, 2014: Blended learning
- Castano-Munoz et al. 2014. The internet in face-to-face higher education: can interactive learning improve academic achievement. British Journal of Educational Technology 45(1): 149-159.
January 22, 2014: Science denial
- Liu D. 2012. Science denial and the science classroom. CBE-Life Sciences Education. 11:129-134.
December 4, 2013: Promoting student engagement
- Tanner, 2013. Structure matters: twenty-one teaching strategies to promote student engagement and cultivate classroom equity. CBE-Life Sciences Education. 12:322-331.
November 1, 2013: In-class activities and performance
- Freeman et al. 2011 Increased course structure improves performance in introductory biology. CBE-Life Sciences Education. 10:175-186.
September 18, 2013: Laptops in classrooms
- Sana F et al. 2013. Laptop multitasking hinders classroom learning for both users and nearby peers. Computers & Education. 62: 24-31. **York connection**
April 2013: Multiple choice exams
- Stanger-Hall K, 2012. Multiple choice exams: an obstacle for higher-level thinking in introductory science classes. CBE-Life Sciences Education 11:294-306.
February 2013: How misconceptions arise and persist
- Coley J & Tanner K, 2012. Common origins of diverse misconceptions: cognitive principles and the development of biology thinking. CBE-Life Sciences Education 11:209-215.
December 2012: Best practices for writing multiple choice questions
- DiBattista D & Kurzawa L. 2011 Examination of the quality of multiple-choice items on classroom tests. Canadian Journal for the Scholarship of Teaching and Learning. 2(2): Article 4.
- Halaydyna T et al. 2002. A review of multiple-choice item-writing guidelines for classroom assessment.Applied Measurement in Education. 15(3):309-334.
October 2012: Peer instruction
- Smith MK et al., 2011. Combining peer discussion with instructor explanation increases student learning from in-class concept questions. CBE – Life Sciences Education 10:55-63.