After submitting a petition package to the Registrar’s Office …
- The Registrar’s Office checks for completeness of the package; if it is incomplete it will be returned to you by mail.
- If the package is complete it is forwarded to the Faculty.
- If necessary any named parties will be contacted to provide responses to any comments you have made.
- Your petition will be included on the agenda for the next available meeting of a petitions panel.
- The panel considers the documentary evidence, and in particular the severity of its likely impact on your academic performance, or its relevance to the relief being requested, and renders a decision.
It will normally take between 6 to 8 weeks before a decision letter is emailed to you.
At certain times of the year petitioning is a time sensitive process and at such times the committee meets to expedite decisions. Petitions are a confidential process, but not an anonymous one unless you request it. Students may not appear before a Petitions Committee.