Please forward this email to all faculty members who engage in research related to climate change science.
The Natural Sciences and Engineering Research Council of Canada (NSERC) recently announced a Call for Letters of Intent (LOI) for a jointly funded initiative with Environment and Climate Change Canada and Health Canada to accelerate climate change science in Canadian universities. For more information on the Advancing Climate Change Science in Canada initiative, please see below.
To provide support for activities that will:
- Increase collaboration among federal scientists and policy makers and the extramural academic community to strengthen Canada’s research ecosystem;
- Enhance the ability of Canadian universities to support the objectives of the Pan-Canadian Framework on Clean Growth and Climate Change;
- Increase the scientific information available to support government decision-making on climate action.
The proposed research project must address at least one of the following research objectives:
- Heat: to help protect the health of Canadians through advancing innovation for energy efficient cooling technologies, such as the cooling potential of natural infrastructures;
- Forests: accelerates knowledge of ecosystem services in the context of climate change, such as the role of forests and trees as natural infrastructure in increasing climate resilience, mitigating climate change, human health and wellbeing, and promoting biodiversity in urban or rural landscapes;
- Carbon cycle: to improve understanding of carbon dynamics in Canadian ecosystems, with a focus on how to quantify, protect, and enhance natural carbon sinks.
Up to $180K/year
ORS deadline for LOI – November 16, 2018
Agency deadline for LOI – November 30, 2018
ORS deadline for full application – December 17, 2018
Agency deadline for full application (by invitation only) – January 9, 2019
For further details on this initiative and to obtain information on how to apply, please consult the following web site:
Back to Funding Opportunities