CREATE initiatives provide a value-added experience to the university training environment that includes the development of professional skills among students and postdoctoral fellows that complement their qualifications and technical skills, with a focus on providing an enriched training experience for graduate students.
CREATE programs are recognized for:
- their innovative nature to create a rich research training environment;
- the excellence of the researchers, and their success in training highly skilled and educated personnel for future employment in all sectors, including industry, government and academia;
- their capacity to raise the standard for best practices in research training and development of professional skills of new researchers;
- encouraging student mobility, as appropriate, either between different Canadian universities, or between the universities and potential workplaces or among participating Canadian and international institutions, thus promoting international awareness; and
- strengthening equity, diversity and inclusion in research communities.
$1.65M over 6 years
Phase 1: Letter of Intent – Due May 1, 2019
Phase 2: Full Application (by invitation only) – Due September 23, 2019
NSERC encourages applicants to submit training programs that fall within Canada’s research strengths and priorities under the following priority areas:
- Environmental science and technologies;
- Natural resources and energy;
- Information and communications technologies.
York University Internal Selection Process
All researchers planning to submit an application to the CREATE program (Phase 1: Letter of Intent) are required to submit an internal Notice of Intent (iNOI). The iNOIs will be reviewed by the Strategic Project and Opportunity Review Team (SPORT), which will provide feedback to applicants and advice to the Vice-President Research and Innovation (VPRI) on which should be advanced to the funder.
Note that NSERC CREATE grants are institutional awards and require substantial support from researchers’ respective Departments, Faculties, and Organized Research Units. As such, proposals with institutional supports will be prioritized to move forward to the funder.
Applicants must notify their Faculty and the Office of Research Services (Maheen Hasan – firstname.lastname@example.org) as soon as possible about their intention to apply. Doing so will both streamline the process of securing Faculty-level support for the partnership, and ensure that researchers receive adequate support in application preparation.
An information session on the NSERC CREATE program will be held in early 2019 (details to be confirmed later). For more information and to schedule a consultation, please contact Maheen Hasan, Strategic and Institutional Research Specialist, in the Office of Research Services at email@example.com.
The iNOIs are due no later than March 11, 2019 by email to Maheen Hasan (firstname.lastname@example.org), and include the following components:
- York iNOI form (attached PDF form)
- Outline of Training Program (2 pages) – attach as PDF document
- Excellence of Proposed Team of Researchers (2 pages) – attach as PDF document1
- NSERC Form 100 – only required for the lead applicant
- Industry Partner Letters/Emails – required for Industry Stream applications
- Copy of NSERC Review Comments for Resubmissions
- Faculty letter of support (1 page) – attach as PDF document
The letter should detail the alignment of the project with the strategic research objectives of the Faculty, and the supports/resources that the Faculty is prepared to commit to the project. Commitments and supports from Organized Research Units (ORUs) should be included as appropriate.
Stage 1: Letter of Intent
- iNOI Submission to ORS: March 11, 2019
- SPORT Committee Feedback: Late March 2019
- ORS Deadline for Draft of Completed Letter of Intent: April 15, 2019
- ORS Deadline for Completed Letter of Intent and ORS Checklist: April 25, 2019
- NSERC Letter of Intent Deadline: May 1, 2019
- NSERC Invitation to Apply: June 2019
Stage 2: Full Application (to be confirmed)
- ORS Deadline for Complete Application for SPORT Review: Mid August, 2019
- SPORT Committee Feedback: Mid to Late August, 2019
- ORS Deadline for Draft 2 of Completed Application: September 9, 2019
- ORS Deadline for Final Application and ORS Checklist: September 19, 2019
- NSERC Application Deadline: September 23, 2019
- NSERC Results: March 2020
All applications for external research funding must be reviewed and approved by the Office of Research Services before they are submitted to the granting agency. The application must be accompanied by a completed ORS Application Checklist. To ensure that the approved application is ready by the agency deadline, a complete application package must be submitted to ORS ten (10) working days prior to the final submission date.
Enclosed: York CREATE iNOI Form
Back to Funding Opportunities