You will encounter the same first-year topics as students enrolled in traditional courses so that you are prepared to continue in any of our majors in your second year and beyond. To illustrate what we mean, here is a breakdown of the fall modules by topic:
1. Getting to Mars: Rocket Science
Essential Question: How do we get to Mars to study it in the first place?
- Calculus: Functions and Models; Limits and Derivatives; Differentiation Rules
- Physics: Kinematics; Forces and Motion; Newton’s Laws; Energy
- Chemistry: Gases; First Law of Thermodynamics
2. Life Essentials
Essential Question: What are the conditions needed for life?
- Calculus: Functions; Differentiation; Integrals
- Physics: Physical Nature of Light; Momentum and Collisions
- Chemistry: Second Law of Thermodynamics; Atomic Structure; Chemical Bonding
- Biology: Cells; Cell Membranes and Signaling; Metabolism; DNA; Biotechnology
3. Planetary Essentials
Essential Question: How are the conditions needed for life created?
- Calculus: Cross product
- Physics: Rotational Dynamics; Gravitation
- Chemistry: Gases and liquids; Chemical bonds
4. Future Prospects: Sending Humans to Mars
Essential Question: What do we need to consider when sending humans to Mars?
- Physics: Oscillations
- Biology: Mitosis and Meiosis; Gene expression