Seeking Applicants of Exceptional Promise
York University’s Faculty of Science eagerly awaits applications for its prestigious 2018 York Science Scholars Award (YSSA) program. In keeping with our vision of preparing global thinkers to advance knowledge and human progress, the Science Scholars program nurtures the intellectual and career development of high-achieving, passionate science students entering our Faculty.
What is the York Science Scholars Award Program?
The 2018 York Science Scholars program provides up to 25 first-year entering students with awards worth $10,000 each. This Faculty of Science award is considered separately and in addition to any other York University or Faculty of Science admissions awards and scholarships.
The York Science Scholars Award of $10,000 is provided in two parts:
- $5,000 as an entrance scholarship
- $5,000 as a guaranteed summer research position following the first year of study
What makes this Award different?
Everyone understands the importance of finding the funds to successfully complete university. At York’s Faculty of Science, we also acknowledge the importance of hands-on experience in academic and career success. The York Science Scholars Award program combines:
- a $5,000 entrance scholarship
- a one-on-one mentorship from outstanding faculty members
- a guaranteed $5,000 paid summer research position for the summer following a student’s first year, and
- leading-edge research facilities.
York Science Scholar winners are given the priceless opportunity to earn tuition in a guaranteed summer position during their first summer while participating in advanced scientific exploration.
Both Canadian and International students are eligible to apply for this program. We invite applications from students who have applied for entrance to the York University Faculty of Science. Newly enrolled first year Faculty of Science students are eligible to receive the award.
$5,000 Entrance Scholarship:
Upon enrolment and registration in the York University’s Faculty of Science, the entrance scholarship will be credited to the student’s account.
$5,000 Paid Summer Research Placement:
In the winter term (January 2019) of their first year, students will be matched with a summer research placement based on factors such as their area of study, research opportunities, and preferences. The summer position will pay $5,000 and upon completion of the summer placement, the funds will be credited to the recipient’s tuition account. Please note that a student must maintain a B+ average to retain their $5,000 paid summer research placement.
1) High academic achievement: Although we consider the YSSA applications holistically, competitive applications tend to have a minimum average of A- (80%, or its equivalent) and higher.
2) Demonstrated passion for science and community service, demonstrated leadership skills, and a desire to make a difference for their communities.
3) Well-rounded candidates who demonstrate involvement beyond academics, for example, in community service, achievement in sports, the arts, or hobbies.
4) English Language Scores:
For international students requiring an English language test for admission to York University, competitive English test scores are:
• YELT: band 1
• TOEFL: iBT 100
• IELTS: 7.5
1) Academic transcripts: The application requires transcripts which will already be received by the University as part of the applicant’s university application. The candidate will not need to submit these separately.
2) Personal statement on themes outlined on the application form and guideline sheet.
4) Reference letters: At least two but no more than three reference letters, only one of which is from a teacher. Each reference letter must be submitted with the reference letter form that is part of the application.
Given the prestige of the York Science Scholars program, its $10,000 financial component, and, perhaps most significantly, the experience provided by the summer placement, applicants to the York Science Scholars program have very competitive applications. Please begin the process of putting your application together very early. Please note that you may submit your application prior to receiving an offer of admission to York University’s Faculty of Science. Your Science Scholar Award application is assessed in parallel to your application to the Faculty of Science.
Applications are submitted via the student’s MyFile York University application page or, if in hard copy, directly to the Faculty of Science.
Applications will begin to be accepted on October 15, 2017.
If you would like an email notification when applications begin to be accepted, please submit your name and email address in the form below. We will send you the reminder and application guidelines directly.
Applications for the York Science Scholars Award close as of February 20, 2018.
You can submit your application digitally on the York entrance scholarships site on your York University MyFile page.
Hard copy submission:
Hard copies of the application may be sent to:
York Science Scholars Award
Faculty of Science, York University
352 Lumbers Building, 4700 Keele St., Toronto, ON M3J 1P3
Received and date stamped by the Faculty of Science by February 20th, 2018 at 11:59PM
Automatic Entrance Scholarships:
In addition to the YSSA, candidates to the Faculty of Science automatically receive consideration to a number of entrance awards, including an additional $2,000 for entering science students who have a 90%+ final average. Please note that the York Science Scholars’ Award is awarded in addition to any other awards received.
Although the YSSA requires supplementary application materials, York Entrance Scholarship and Student Life Award (SLA) are automatically assessed. The SLA is $500 and is given to help with the cost of books, school supplies and meals on campus. Other automatic awards:
|Final Admission Average Amount||Amount|
|95+%||$16,500 = ($3,500X4) + $2,000 (Science Award), + $500 SLA|
|90-94.9%||$4,500 = $2,000 + $2,000 (Science Award), + $500 SLA|
|85-89.9%||$1,500 =$1,000 + $500 SLA|
|80-84.9%||$1,000 = $500 + $500 SLA|
Please visit futurestudents.yorku.ca/funding for more information on these and other awards.
In addition to the YSSA program, our undergraduate students have multiple opportunities to gain scientific research experience in addition to research exposure in class.
• Research Practicum Courses: Students apply to work with researchers to advance Professors’ research and Student work experience
• Research @York: Paid positions to work with professors in their labs
• NSERC USRAs: The Natural Sciences and Engineering Research Council (NSERC) offers prestigious paid Undergraduate Summer Research Awards (USRAs) every summer.
• Dean’s Undergraduate Research Awards (DURA): Exclusive to the Faculty of science, students undertake research in labs for 16 weeks over the summer.
• Capstone Project Courses: Independent research projects with the help of a supervising professor leading to publications in scientific journals or conference proceedings.
• Biology Field Courses: In the field training in ecology and conservation.