York University, Toronto
The Faculty of Science at York University is inviting applications from emerging researchers of great promise for up to six York Science Fellowships. These premier postdoctoral fellowships are intended for talented early-career scientists who have recently been awarded, or who are about to be awarded, the doctoral degree, and offer a select group of Fellows the opportunity to pursue their research in collaboration with outstanding scientists who hold a primary faculty appointment in our Faculty of Science and to live in one of the most cosmopolitan cities in the world. The Fellowships are made possible thanks to a generous grant from Jim and Marilyn Simons.
Normally, the Fellowship is expected to begin shortly after the Ph.D. is awarded. Candidates with more than three years of postdoctoral experience, and those who received their PhD from York or have held any position at York for more than six months (as of October 1, 2018), are ineligible.
Terms of Appointment
- York Science Fellowships are granted for a period of two years. Starting date is negotiable, but must fall between July 1 and October 1, 2018.
- The Faculty of Science provides an annual stipend of CAD $60,000 towards the total award package. The host faculty member provides a minimum of CAD $12,200 per year, which funds CAD $5,000 for research expenses (e.g., travel, computing, publication costs) and CAD $7,200 to cover the University’s mandatory postdoc benefits.
- Fellowships will be awarded on the basis of research accomplishments to date, potential for future contributions, and alignment of research interests with those of potential faculty mentors at York.
- The deadline for the receipt of all application components has been extended to November 30, 2017.
- Applicants should submit their materials online at http://science.yorku.ca/yfsapplication . The online application requires a letter from the prospective host faculty member at York to be up-loaded by the applicant. In addition for the application to be complete, three reference letters should be received by December 1, 2017.
- The candidate must indicate that their doctoral degree will be conferred by September 30, 2018, and must provide proof that their doctoral degree has been conferred prior to the start of the fellowship.
- Candidates must identify a potential host faculty member (with a primary appointment in the departments of Biology, Chemistry, Mathematics & Statistics, Physics & Astronomy, or Science & Technology Studies), and ask them to submit a letter confirming their willingness to host the Fellow and provide a minimum of CAD $12,200 towards the Fellowship package. A given host faculty member can only host one new Fellow per year.
- Successful candidates will be selected between mid-December and January.
- External funding (such as NSERC or CIHR PDF) can be held concurrently to a YSF (as long as the funding agency will allow it). However, the total salary amount received cannot exceed the YSF salary award. In addition, the YSF funding is limited to two years and cannot be deferred. Applicants should also note the PDF benefit package will different from the YSF (details can be found here).
All application material must be submitted by November 20, 2017.
Provide the following required information:
- Applicant’s full legal name
- Applicant’s active, personal e-mail address
- Applicant’s current institution
- Applicant’s preferred mailing address including postal code
- Applicant’s telephone number
- Applicant’s Ph.D. institution
- Applicant’s (expected) Date of Ph.D. (month and year).
- (N.B.: Ph.D. must be conferred by September 30, 2018)
Letter from Proposed Host Faculty Member at York
A host letter, from a faculty member with a primary appointment in the Faculty of Science, must confirm their willingness to host the applicant as a York Science Fellow, and to cover the required research expenses and benefits amounts cited above. This letter should be persuasive, and comment on the applicant’s fit with their research program. A given host faculty member can only host one new Fellow per year. The host letter should be up-loaded to the web site by the applicant. Please note that a host can support up to three applicants.
Please list the names and contact information of three professional references on your application form. References must be in a position to comment in an informed way about your accomplishments to date and your potential as a York Science Fellow. Upon submission of your application automatic emails containing an individualized link will be sent to your references to invite them to submit their letters. Reference letters won’t be accepted after December 1, 2017, so please notify your references if you intend to submit your application close to the deadline.
Research Statement, CV and Publications List
- Research Statement: Include in your application a research statement indicating the nature of the research you wish to pursue at York University. Your research statement must not exceed two pages with 1-inch margins and 11-point font. Your research statement must be written in such a way as to be understood by an evaluator outside of your field.
- CV and Publications List: Please provide an up-to-date curriculum vitae and a list of publications, with refereed and non-refereed publications clearly demarcated. Do not include reprints/preprints with your application.
If you have questions about the program or the application process, please contact our Research office via email at firstname.lastname@example.org.