Nomination packages can be prepared in one of two ways. The first being a package is triggered by the accumulation of at least 5 letters of support from students gathered over a 4 year period. The second is a faculty member familiar with the nominee’s undergraduate teaching can submit a full package on behalf of the nominee. All nomination documents (letters, CV, teaching philosophy, etc.) shall be submitted to the MachForm available on the CoTL Teaching Awards website.
STUDENTS – write a letter!
Students who have been taught by the nominee (and not only supervised) submit a letter of support for TA and/or instructor of choice through provided MachForm via CoTL Teaching Awards website. Letters should describe and provide evidence for teaching excellence, addressing (without being restricted to) the criteria listed on the Awards and Criteria page (and listed below). Letters will be kept for four years.
Once a minimum of five letters have been collected over a four year period, this triggers formation of a nomination package. The chair of CoTL will contact the nominated TAs/instructors to inform of nomination and allow for package preparation. The full package is described below.
NOTE: *Students may not write a letter for someone who is currently teaching and/or supervising them.*
NOTE: *Students are encouraged to motivate other students to write letters so that the nomination may proceed.*
2) SUBMIT a COMPLETE NOMINATION
To submit a complete nomination package the nominating faculty member must include:
- At least FIVE letters from York students/alumni (undergraduate or graduate) who have been taught by the nominee but are neither currently enrolled in courses taught by the nominee, nor being supervised by the nominee (i.e., where nominee is TA Coordinator). The letters should have been prepared within the four years preceding the nomination.
- A maximum of two York faculty members familiar with the nominee’s undergraduate teaching. The letters should have been prepared within the four years preceding the nomination.
- A current CV (up to 5 pages) prepared by the nominee.
- A Teaching Statement (teaching philosophy, maximum 1000 words) prepared by the nominee.
NOTE: *Student letters and the two faculty letters should be submitted by the nominating faculty member to the MachForm on the CoTL website.*